Thursday, August 07, 2008

Comic-Con '08 was crazy, exhausting, and lots of fun.

At this year’s San Diego Comic-Con I met tons of new people, made a few new friends, caught up with old friends, and talked collaboration with a few more.

COMIC BOOK TATTOO got a lot of attention at the con, as did Tori Amos’ presence there. I felt the show as a whole was extremely well organized, and even with all the big media movie studio turnout, there seemed to be a proportionately larger comic book publishing presence this year. But I can no longer just call this thing a convention, it is now more of a festival that takes over the whole city. A pop-culture Burning Man?



There were long lines at the convention center everywhere.



Luckily just about the only line I stood in all week was to get a cup of coffee (about 30 minutes).



CBT Editor Rantz Hoseley (this guy is awesome!), with Tori fan Michele Santiago, showing off the Limited Edition book and print.



CBT cover artist Jason Levesque at the Image Comics booth Friday, when books were selling as fast as we could sign them and take people’s money.



The Saturday Comic Book Tattoo panel was a really fun experience. There were several hundred in attendance and the hour flew by quickly. From left to right: Kelly Sue DeConnick, Ted McKeever, Elizabeth Genco, Tori Amos, Rantz Hoseley, and David Mack. Yes that me in the red shirt in the front row.



We sold out of books Saturday after having them for only about 24 hours. Fortunately people who’d already bought the book kept coming back to get their copy signed by the various creators who cycled through the Image booth every hour or so.



Me and Tori with writer Jon Tsuei at the con on Saturday. What a day that was: panels, parties, signings, celebrities, good conversations, and plenty of Long Island Ice Teas by the end of it.



Some of the CBT crew and me at the Image booth Sunday. I was worn out by then, but in a good way.


The book should be in stores everywhere. So check it out.

Also original art for sale from my CBT story can be found here.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous bodhi said...

Hey leif, i have a question to you. I'm an VTES player, and I think ur ilustrations in the last expansion (twilight rebellion) were the best of the set (u know, jack drake, miss fockart, poachers hunting, smear campaign and twilight camp. ¿Do u work in the new expansion?¿Can u put some art here? thanks :)

3:59 AM  
Blogger Leif Jones said...

I've illustrated maybe eighteen cards since twilight rebellion, but for now I'm trying to have my blog focus more on my comic book work. Thanks for your interest!

4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Counter